At A Glance

Belen Jesuit Preparatory School was founded in 1854 in Havana, Cuba by Queen Isabel II of Spain. The task of educating students was assigned to the priests and brothers of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), whose teaching tradition is synonymous with academic excellence and spiritual discipline. In 1961, the new political regime of Cuba confiscated the School property and expelled the Jesuit faculty. The School was re-established in Miami the same year, and over the next decade, continued to grow.

Today, Belen Jesuit sits on a 33-acre site in western Miami-Dade County. Students enjoy the rich cultural diversity of a major metropolitan community as well as Miami’s beautiful weather and beaches. Since its inception in Miami, over 5,500 young men have graduated from Belen Jesuit Preparatory School. 
Over 5,500 young men have graduated from Belen Jesuit in Miami since 1961.

Jesuit Education

The Society of Jesus is a Roman Catholic religious order founded by Pope Paul III at the request of Saint Ignatius of Loyola in 1540. The objective of the order is to help all men and women to live according to Christ's example of love and service. Hence, the motto of the Society, "Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam." The Jesuits dedicated themselves to spread the Gospel in mission lands and to the ministry of education very early in their history. The order was a missionary and a "teaching order" from its origin in the 16th century.

Belen Jesuit Preparatory School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The School is also affiliated with the National Catholic Educational Association and is a member of the Jesuit Secondary Education Association (JSEA) and Jesuit High School College Counselors Association.

Belen Jesuit Through History

List of 19 items.

  • 1854

    Her Majesty Isabel II, Queen of Spain, issues a royal charter founding the Colegio de Belén (Belen School) in Havana, Cuba. Belen School begins its educational work in the building formerly occupied by the convent and convalescent hospital of Our Lady of Belen, hence the name of the school
  • 1925

    Sixty acres of new land and several buildings are donated to Belen School. The complex is later known as "The Palace of Education."
  • 1961

    Belen Jesuit School is established in the United States. The fourth floor of the Gesu Elementary School, located in what is now the parking lot of Gesu Church in downtown Miami, becomes the first site of Belen Jesuit Preparatory School. The actual building no longer exists.
  • 1962

    Belen Jesuit Preparatory School acquires its own building and moves to a new site on the corner of S.W. 8th Street and 7th Avenue in Miami.
  • 1980

    Ground-breaking ceremony is held for a new building on a 30 acre-site located in west Dade County.
  • 1981

    The school year 1981-82 begins in the new facilities with an enrollment of 598 students.
  • 1992

    A language laboratory, two computer laboratories and four new classrooms are installed. The library is remodeled. A new track and a parking lot are added.
  • 1995

    The Roberto C. Goizueta Athletic Center is inaugurated. Two more classrooms are added. Computers are updated in the computer labs.
  • 1996

    Belen Jesuit receives accreditation from SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools), a prestigious and recognized association devoted to recognizing elite institutions.
  • 1998

    Belen Jesuit inaugurates the new Vincam wing, providing a larger cafeteria, eight new classrooms, and a guest dining room.
  • 2002

    Belen inaugurates the additions of Villa Javier the Jesuit residence and the Raul and Nidia Rodriguez Science Pavilion. Work is also completed on the new outdoor basketball courts and tennis courts.
  • 2004

    The Ignatian Center for the Arts Center is completed. The art center consists of the Ophelia & Juan Js. Roca Theater, Olga & Carlos Saladrigas Art Gallery, 7 classrooms, a music rehearsal hall. The athletic complex is also renovated.
  • 2008

    The Administration Building is completed. The administration building houses the offices of the President, Advancement, Admissions, Alumni, Registrars, Business, Copy Center, Technology Director, and the Cosculluela Dining Hall.
  • 2011

    The School celebrates its Golden Jubilee, the fiftieth anniversary of the reestablishment of the school in South Florida. The school unveiled the Ecos de un Belén lejano painting by Cuban-American artist Humberto Calzada in the Administration building. Additionally, a complete renovation of the school’s central patio was completed and renamed the Garrido Family Plaza. 
  • 2012

    The new academic year began a new era of teaching at Belen Jesuit with the implementation of a one‐to‐one program using the Apple iPad device and utilizing all digital textbooks. In the fall, the football team kicked-off their 41st season by debuting a new artificial turf football field. The newly named Sánchez Field will be used continuously for many sports including football, soccer, and lacrosse.
  • 2013

    The school unveiled a seven-foot bronzed statue of St. Ignatius of Loyola at the school’s main entrance. Archbishop Thomas Wenski blessed the statue. That summer, the Nike Hill & Tunnel was inaugurated which extended the length of the cross-country course to 1.7 miles. 
  • 2014

    In January, the northwest lot of Belen Jesuit was inaugurated from a vacant lot to a beautiful practice field featuring an artificial turf. The Hernandez Field is used by athletes who play soccer, lacrosse and football, and by track and cross-country runners. In December, the historical book, "Men for Others" The Belen Jesuit Story by author Zeida Sardiñas was published. The book recounts the story of how the Jesuits founded Belen in Cuba and Miami.
  • 2015

    In the fall, Bishop Fernando Isern blessed the grounds were construction on renovated cafeteria and new kitchen will be built. The new cafeteria will provide the school with a larger space for dining and meal preparation, as well as a modern space for learning, community meetings, and formal gatherings.
  • 2016

    In the spring, Miami Auxiliary Bishop Peter Baldacchino blessed the grounds where the Gian Zumpano Aquatic Center will be built. The new aquatic center will feature a state-of-the-art Olympic sized pool and will be home to the championship-winning swimming and water polo teams.
BELEN JESUIT PREPARATORY SCHOOL
500 SW 127th Avenue, Miami, FL 33184
phone: 305.223.8600 | fax: 305.227.2565 | email: webmaster@belenjesuit.org
Belen Jesuit Preparatory School was founded in 1854 in Havana, Cuba by Queen Isabel II of Spain.  The task of educating students was assigned to the priests and brothers of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), whose teaching tradition is synonymous with academic excellence and spiritual discipline.  In 1961, the new political regime of Cuba confiscated the School property and expelled the Jesuit faculty.  The School was re-established in Miami the same year, and over the next decade, continued to grow.  Today, Belen Jesuit sits on a 30-acre site in western Dade County, only minutes away from downtown Miami.