St. Bernard Fencing Club

The Belen St. Bernard Fencing Club offers fencing instruction to all of its members. Fencing is a long-standing tradition at Belen Jesuit Preparatory School. Fr. Pedro Cartaya, S.J. ’54 remembers that when he was a student at Belen, the school had a fencing club. St. Ignatius of Loyola himself, was a master fencer in his youth.
Fencers meet once a week to practice with a fencing instructor. Fencers may practice with the club’s equipment, generously contributed by Mr. Bernard Daenzer, the club’s benefactor, or with their own equipment. Members are instructed on the use of the three weapons used in Olympic fencing—the foil, epee, and saber. The moderator is Fr. Pedro Cartaya, S.J
Back
BELEN JESUIT PREPARATORY SCHOOL
500 SW 127th Avenue, Miami, FL 33184
phone: 305.223.8600 | fax: 305.227.2565 | email: webmaster@belenjesuit.org
Belen Jesuit Preparatory School was founded in 1854 in Havana, Cuba by Queen Isabel II of Spain.  The task of educating students was assigned to the priests and brothers of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), whose teaching tradition is synonymous with academic excellence and spiritual discipline.  In 1961, the new political regime of Cuba confiscated the School property and expelled the Jesuit faculty.  The School was re-established in Miami the same year, and over the next decade, continued to grow.  Today, Belen Jesuit sits on a 30-acre site in western Dade County, only minutes away from downtown Miami.